Thursday, July 02, 2009

Just One Question:

OK, once and for all, I want to know what it is that stops us from being extraordinary. And I guess for me that question is most interesting as it relates to workplaces, since that is where most of us spend the great majority of our minutes, hours, years and, really, our lives.

So I've decided to do some research of my own which could find its way to a blog post, an article, a book, a movie - the sky's the limit. I just know that this is an area of extreme passion for me ... bringing JOY to the workplace. Yes, JOY.

So my research involves this one question:

What is the ONE THING you would like to be different at the place you work?

I would love as much detail as you're willing to provide. If it feels too threatening to answer in a response to this post, please email me at jodee@bocksoffice.com. If you want to be anonymous, you can be - I'm just interested in the information. Of course, if you'd like me to have this conversation about your specific workplace, I'm happy to do that, too!

Please forward this question to anyone you think might be interested in being part of this movement to bring JOY to the workplace, wherever that workplace is.

I'll keep this question open until August 1 ... let's see how many responses we can create in the world by then.

8 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Jake Rhodes said...

Less clutter! Then again I work from home so that's entirely my own fault. Maybe I should hire a cleaner?

 
At 9:42 PM, Anonymous Vicente said...

I will find some activities that are tension relievers, conversation breakers and many more just to motivate my fellow employees.
Some are becoming lost in today’s workaday world.But all is not lost. There is hope. People will find ways to break out of the box.

The human imagination finds ways to survive even in desperate circumstances.

 
At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love more joy and PASSION in my workplace. Everyone just focuses on passing the time and making a living instead of living.

That's what I want. :)

Hey. Visit my blog if you like. http://escapingthis.wordpress.com

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Frode H said...

I would love to have a strong creative work place with a short span from the CEO to the floor.

 
At 6:39 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Jake: I agree - on both counts ... that it's up to me to eliminate clutter! Outsource what doesn't make you come alive!

Vicente: Yes - I do believe people are very creative; however, many of them don't believe in their own abilities and end up blaming their circumstances on others. IMHO, the biggest trap we find ourselves in is in our own minds.

Anon: Love the observation of making a living vs. living. The very cool part of that is I don't have to do that! When I change the way I look at things, the things I look at change, so I really do have the power to see it differently!

Frode: Sounds like that would be a great place to work. Thanks, everyone, for your comments!

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger sakredkow said...

What a great question! We do spend so much of our lives at work so I've never really understood it when people say "I'm a different person away from work than when I am at work." For me, the purpose of life is to increase my awareness and my humanity. IMO, there is no place or condition that I require in which to do that. So my efforts at attaining self-awareness, joy, self-actualization or higher consciousness (whatever you want to call it) in large part take place in the context of work.
That being the case, there's really nothing I want to change at work. I need to work on myself always.

That said, yes, a more supportive supervisor and a cleaner men's room would be nice. Just sayin'. : )

Anyway, hope this post made sense.

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Phx: Thanks so much for your comment. It seems that those who have the most success at work (and anywhere, for that matter) are beginning to understand that there's nothing "out there" that can fix or solve problems we have "in here" and that giving up that power to someone else keeps us stuck where we say we don't want to be.

That said, the supervisor and the clean restrooms sure can't hurt!

Thanks again!

 
At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Roseanna Leaton said...

I would like twice as many drawers and twice as many cupboards...and an IT person on hand 24/7.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home