Tuesday, February 03, 2009

The Knowing / Doing Gap

OK, so we've already established that we already know this stuff. There's no new information, just new ways of packaging what's already out there.

So why don't we do what we know?

If greater awareness = better choices, then shouldn't learning more make us more accountable and thus more happy?

We seem to stay in our state of cynicism and resignation so we can cling desperately to our need to be right, even at the expense of our own happiness and vitality. So many people - especially those who feel the need to call in to talk radio shows or write scathing letters to the editor - just don't realize that their opinion of the world is also telling the world who they really are.

It appears as though the cost of being cynical and resigned and upset and unhappy is not yet outweighing the perceived payoff for those who choose to continue the actions that keep proving them right - and unhappy.

But even as I write that I wonder whose view it is that calls that "unhappy." Perhaps it is me judging what I see and calling it "bad" or "wrong" ... if even in my own head.

As I start noticing those things/people/situations that I judge and change my own mind about judging them, then the world appears different to me and I don't have to be caught up in my own need to be right about what others are or are not doing.

So it's really true ... the only gap that occurs in the world between what ANYONE knows and does is the gap that occurs in MY world.

If ANYTHING really is to be, it truly IS up to me.

Somehow I think I already knew that.

2 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To answer the question of "Why don't we do what we know?", I'd suggest that it is more comfortable to do that which is EASY as opposed to that which we know is most beneficial. Often times we chose comfort over change because we know what the results will be. Doing what we know sometimes puts us out of our comfort zone and challenges us in ways we might not be ready for. Doing what you know involves being ready to take on the challenges, not just coasting through life!

 
At 12:42 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Yes - I would agree ... doing something OTHER than what we currently know certainly does (and should) put us out of our comfort zone ... and when are we ever really ready for that?

I love that this implies that our KNOWINGNESS (what we really know beyond just book knowledge or handed-to-us beliefs) as you say, "involves being ready to take on the challenges."

We really do already know this stuff!!

Thanks for your ever-present wisdom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home