Wednesday, December 17, 2008

What's a more inspiring word for "accountability"?

I'm thinking today about the distinction between setting goals and actually achieving them. I guess it's the close of one year and the dawn of a new one that puts me in this reflective mood. Or maybe it's that I was also born at the dawn of the new year and I've always been a little drawn to the Roman god Janus, who looks both forward and backward - from the old year into the new year.

So here's the reflection: 2008 was a great year and I learned a lot (I hope - the true test will be to make sure that I don't repeat any mistakes I made in 2008 in 2009!). And perhaps the biggest lesson I learned was that I can't reflect anything that I'm not projecting. (One of those things that makes you go hmmm, I know.) I know I need to ASK and not just expect that people know what I need and when I take that action, entire universes open up.

And here's the intention: you will see more of me here in 2009 and I will also start a new blog focused on my work. I will also have a new book published in 2009 with the working title "What is Your WHY?" or something like that (I haven't researched that title for availability yet - that's on my accountability list).

Speaking of which, is there a better word than accountability for, well, accountability? To me that's not very inspiring and I'm searching for inspiration. I know I want to create community around this whole issue of accountability, but I don't want it to feel heavy. So, if I know what I don't want, then what do I want? I want light, airy, compelling inspiration. I want to go from doing to being and I want to attract others into that space so that we (whoever that is) can co-create our own systems and rituals that compel us to action.

I'm confident that the HOW will appear ... my project for these next two weeks is to develop the compelling WHY. So stay tuned.

I'll do my best to be accountable ... until we come up with a better term. Suggestions are welcome (as are co-creators and collaborators!).

Happy and Merry!

11 Comments:

At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodee:
I have focused a lot on accountability this year. One things that really helps me another others was when I said one day, "accountability is not about checking up on others or ourselves it is about checking in." This seems to remove the heavy hand of accountability and create an accountability handshake.
David

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

David:

That so totally supports my pull toward creating community. Checking In. That's the best I've heard so far. Thank you so much!

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if this helps or not but I'll give it a try. If I am accountable for my acts I have to be committed to whatever it is I am going to be accountable for. If I lose my commitment I likely lose my ability to act and along with it I will not be likely to do well on being accountable.

Accountability, whenever it comes up, seems to be associated with blame in some way. Commitment does not and seems to have some passion, some fire.

So ... would commitment be a suitable replacement? Maybe committed and checking in?

 
At 10:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have a more inspiring word for "accountability" but I did discover a new word today I love and am going to embrace - a friend called and asked "do you want to go to lunch? I need a "soulbooster" - - what a great word for the season.

Beth

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Beth:

Soulbooster - that's fabulous! Accountability without the guilt! Thanks for that new word!

Enjoy the holiday!

Jodee

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Dean:

I love commitment and checking in! I always want to be committed to an outcome without the attachment that expectation can bring. So thanks for that reinforcement! Great thoughts!

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Brenda Levos said...

Jodee
I have been thinking more on this subject as well. And I ponder, in a truly creative and collaborative environment, does anyone need to be accountable? Who's counting?

I would prefer to approach it from a perspective of the reality that there are tasks that need to be accomplished, and people to accomplish them. Each person has tasks that they are naturally drawn to do. The creating of an environment where each team member is "inspired" to do what is necessary to move the collective whole of the group ahead. Not just action, but through "artful action." Sound familiar?

Think of people you know that inspire you, you naturally do things to help them. As a team, I think those same principles apply. When people are drawn together for a common goal, rather than by obligation, the motivation for the group as a whole to achieve success creates that inspiration for those involved to best utilize their talents and want to be a contributing factor.

 
At 10:05 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

That's so great, Brenda. I'm grateful that what you have described is what has occurred in the world because of some of our collaborations. I don't want to HAVE to do things, I want to WANT to - and if I'm compelled by something bigger or greater than I, I can't help but do it. That's how I see this pull to listen to a calling rather than react to a command.

Jeff responded by email and said he would like to see a word that combines "accountability" and "community." I like his idea of "communability" - or maybe "accountamunity."

What I like most about the word community is the combination of "commune" and "unity." That's what I think we're developing here in Fargo. Thanks for being a huge part of it!!

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Present

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodee

I have been reading your blog when ever I can for the past few months - it's well written and quirky. I have my own blog www.workguideforwomen.com.

I would love to add you to my blog roll and hope you will do the same - let me know your thoughts.

When you have a moment, you should check out ShesConnected.com and add your profile, it's a great way to promote your business and blog.

I look forward to connecting with you and continuing to read your blog.

Cheers,

Kate

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this stuff. Accountability matters depending on the very reason of its existence.It is a big word because it exposes your ultimate reason of being. Your values, your uniqueness, your power, your frailty and your shame. Many people live on the meaningless side of life and accountability. They exist for nothing but self. We cannot ever be accountable to others if we are not accountable to ourselves. Indeed, a lot of people need to have an attitude overhaul and self-inventory.Every human being do things for a purpose to which we are accountable for. The question is just why you are doing that stuff? And that answers if our accountability matters. I learned a great sense of accountability from my mentor on life coaching kamja. It ushered me into a right way of living with a right purpose that satisfies my day-to-day life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home