Monday, July 24, 2006

More Connections - More Ideas!

So this morning I'm catching up on visiting my favorite blogs, and I stumble across a post following the one I put up at Tom Peters' blog, from Starbucker, and I notice that he and I have very similar ideas about leadership. I have noticed Starbucker before, but I finally went out and looked at his blog. He has a great site called "Ramblings From A Glass Half Full" which I'd encourage you to visit.

At this blog I found a link to a wonderful article by Ben Stein ("Bueller, Bueller," - He's Ferris Bueller's teacher in the movie) about how separate we've become. From Starbucker's site:

Once again Ben Stein forced me to sit up and think with this column about how our neighborhoods have changed, and not for the better. His key question: "How did we stop giving a damn about our neighbors and viewing this earthly transit, this brief wink between eternity and eternity (to paraphrase the great Hart Crane), as mostly a chance to make money off a nameless, faceless Other?” Another one worth reading from Ben.

This is a perfect segue into another of my projects - the ONE seminar I'll be conducting wherever anyone would like it. The seminar is based on Lance Secretan's book "ONE: The Art and Practice of Conscious Leadership" and it hearkens back to a simpler time when humanity was connected and not separated as we find ourselves today. Through reflection, dialogue and interaction, this seminar will help us all figure out what can bring us back to ONE in our organizations, where we all know we can be and are the most effective.

So there are quite a few calls to action in this post: Check out Ramblings From A Glass Half Full. Read Ben Stein's article. Check out the ONE seminar on my website. (And if you haven't done it yet, send me your nod for the theme song for your life (see yesterday's post) and why you'd pick that song.) And, while you're surfing, check out the latest podcast at No Bullshit Leadership. Phil & Greg & I had another lively dialogue last night.

Last, but not least, notice what calls your attention this week. Are you drawn to ways we are separate? Or are you noticing how coming together in our work and at home might lead to different action?

Let me know what you see.

5 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger Terry Starbucker said...

Jodee, thanks for your kind words about my blog, and for sharing Ben Stein's article with your readers. I've often commented about "why I like blogging so much", and this is yet another reason - a connection to your post, and to what looks like a great book, "ONE" (I just put it in my Amazon cart). As for a "theme song", I could never identify with anything in particular, so an friend and I wrote and recorded our own - it's called "The Daily Grind", and you can find it on the right-hand side of my blog. Thanks again for connecting, and I look forward to your future posts, from one optimist to another! All the best.

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Great to finally make the "face-to-face" connection! I'll look forward to at least talking about the words to your theme song (unless you can send me an MP3 that I can burn to a CD for the show!).

Take care!

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Terry Starbucker said...

Jodee, if you go to the blog and right click "The Daily Grind", you should get the option "save target as" - pick that and you can download it right to your desktop. Hope you enjoyed it!

 
At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, this post is so chock-full of goodies! Thanks for keeping me thinking and learning! As for a song - I have to say that John Lennon's Imagine has always resonated deeply in my soul. A more current theme song would be Fantasia's I Believe. Good luck with the radio show!

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Kirsten:

I'll be sure to add your song to my playlist! Thank you again for your feedback! I'm so glad you're visiting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home