Friday, January 06, 2006

Report from the Big Bash

I thought you may be interested to hear how the Big Bash turned out at Big Break Amusing Mosaics last night. There were seven of us there, along with Sheila and Ann (our instructors, who also served up huge doses of moral support and creative inspiration). The idea behind Big Break is that people can show up there to break ceramic tiles, old plates, cups, saucers and such, and then create works of art from the destruction.

The first thing I noticed when we all got there was that there was visible air of anxiety among my friends, along with the feeling that they were under pressure to be creative among all the pretty colors and books of inspirational ideas from others who are undoubtedly more inherently creative than any of us thought we were.

But it didn't take long for the breaking, bashing, nipping, clipping, cementing, and yes, creating to happen (of course the wine didn't hurt!). By 9:00 all of us were amazed and even a little surprised at the beauty we had created.

It's a perfect analogy for most of our lives at work and at home. When it comes right down to it, we really are capable of much more than we can initially see in the midst of the problems, chaos, upset and even destruction of our lives. How often do we give ourselves permission to get in there and get dirty, much less to celebrate the inevitable victories we either witness or create?

I have to go back to grout my picture frame on Saturday, but as soon as I have it finished I'll post a photo so you can see what I created with my own two hands - and by getting rid of the need for it to be perfect, whatever that is.

1 Comments:

At 12:16 AM, Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said...

I can't wait to see it Jodee! This is such a cool thing. We definitely need more of this creative destruction in the world.

Happy grouting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home