Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Am I crazy ... or crazy like a fox?

I'm at a coffee shop this afternoon finishing up some slides for a new presentation on Saturday and the man behind the counter came over to where I'm sitting because the TV is on above my head. He's worried because the Dow keeps going down. He wanted to engage me in that conversation by asking whether I thought it was because the Fed is waiting for the government to do something or other (or maybe it was the other way around).

To be honest with you, and with him, I'm just not that involved in the Dow or the rising gas prices or the weather or other things I really have no direct control over in this moment.

When I told him that in just a few words, he asked whether or not I had money in the stock market. I told him that I do, but I have someone else worrying about that for me. He looked at me as if I'd just grown another head.

Am I crazy?

I decided a couple of years ago that the energy I wasted worrying about those things I can't control was taking its toll on my effectiveness and creativity and I gave it up. I also gave up guilt at that time and began concentrating my energy and efforts not on the past or even in the future, but became much more present. What I realized today during this encounter was that I may have lost some money in the stock market, but I've gained some peace and clarity - a LOT of peace and clarity, in fact.

I wrote a post in July called "It's All Made Up" where I talked about this elusive concept of money and value we've made up. If I'm worried now about something that has happened with my money which I'm not going to need until some future time when the value will be completely different anyway, it seems to me that I'm giving up my opportunity to be happy right now by worrying about it.

This was a great reminder to me that I really have been happier in the past couple of years - and have been even more effective in my business and my relationships. This reflection actually offered me a chance to realize how grateful I am (I almost spelled that "greatful" because of the influence of my friend Phil, the Make It Great guy!) for this awareness!

So, what do we say to the people who call us irresponsible or out of touch or idealistic? Maybe it's not what we say, but how we be. Actions speak louder than words, after all.

It reminds me of Pollyanna ... but that's for another post.

Crazy? Maybe ... but maybe crazy like a fox.

(image from www.thefoxden.com)

8 Comments:

At 4:30 PM, Blogger circe said...

Jodee,

Stopping by to express my appreciation for this blog and your wisdom. This post was great, exactly what I needed today.

 
At 5:04 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Kirsten:

Thank you so much for visiting! I checked out your blog, too - and I'm happy to add you to my blogroll, if you don't mind. You have great wisdom, too - and I'm grateful to have connected with you!

All my best in 2008!

 
At 6:08 PM, Blogger circe said...

Thank you! : )

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger ­Aery said...

the best part of being crazy is not to get that feelin of being absurd but enjoying that each moment of crazyness.

-http://coolaery.blogspot.com/

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodee:

your blog today was LIBERATING and AFFIRMING for me. I have tried recently to let go of worry in my life over things that I can't directly control (about a loved one's mental illness) in favor of deliberate concentration on the aspects I can actually DO something about (treatment variations, my attitude, etc.). I have felt much more at peace when I remember to let go of that worry--thanks for your great reminder that I'm on the right road to happiness in respect to this issue! CRAZY like a fox, it is!

 
At 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not met a lot of people who are willing to hand over all the stock market stuff to somebody else and not worry about it constantly. It's amazing how you have this peace and clarity about you. Maybe your attitude towards this can translate into positive energy that will always ensure that you're good with the stock market? Hehehe.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Abhishek, Lisa & Jen:

Thanks for your comments and for stopping by! Yes, it is freeing not to have to worry about the stock stuff - and everything else I can't control. I keep asking myself "What good will it do?" whenever I think about doing something, no matter what it is ... in fact, that will probably make its way into a blog post here in the next week or so. If "it" is an action, and there's good in it, I'll do it ... if "it" is a thought, and there's good in it, I'll do it. It's made me much more mindful and I like how it makes me feel!

Thanks again for visiting!

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said...

Jodee - you are so power-full with this article. GREAT for you for not falling into this trap!

Happy 200-GREAT!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home