Tuesday, December 11, 2007

You Are Here

The best gift I got last Christmas was my beloved Tom Tom GPS for my car. I've always told myself I'm directionally challenged, which ended up just being a good excuse for not being responsible to really pay attention when I was driving. Now I can get around that excuse by trusting Mandy (the pre-programmed voice I've chosen to help me find my destination)!

One of the coolest things about my GPS is that I don't even have to tell it where I am before I tell it where I want to go - it just knows. Of course, that doesn't seem to work the same way in real life. If we don't know where we are, it's pretty tough to pick a starting point. That's why, when I don't have my GPS with me (like in the Mall of America, for example), I rely on that big red arrow telling me exactly where I am. That way I can get my bearings and decide where I want to go.

However we do have that same ability in our lives if we'll just listen to our inner navigation system. In Maxwell Maltz's classic book Psycho-Cybernetics he refers to this as our Automatic Success Mechanism (ASM). When we set our ASM with a clear and detailed sense of direction, we don't have to know how we're going to get where we're going - we just have to be clear about our intention.

Now is a great time to decide if where you're headed is where you want to end up. As Lao-Tzu reminds us:

"If you do not change direction,
you may end up where you are heading."


There's no time like the present to set your ASM for 2008!

2 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I don't need a device to tell me "you are here" because I already know I am here.
It is not I who wants to know where I am, it is the navigation device that needs to know where I am to calculate how to guide me to my destination.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Frank:

You are ahead of most people in their lives if you have already taken stock and so know exactly where you are. When I use the GPS system analogy, I'm speaking metaphorically ... of course, with your GPS you don't need to know because your GPS does ... but many people don't realize their own internal GPS or ASM and so continue to live their lives as if they were a sailboat in the ocean, just waiting for the wind to blow them in some direction.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home