Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What keeps you from playing BIG??

I'm thinking today about all the times I have thought about something and then haven't DONE anything with it, only to have my idea come back at me from someone else. Why don't I ACT when I have an idea?

So I'd like to challenge all of us - me included - to starting thinking BIG ... to dream the most outrageous dream ... to imagine what the world would look like if you were playing to your fullest capacity. What would you think? What would you say? What would you DO?

I would create a foundation or an organization or some entity that would be responsible for teaching school kids how to ask better questions - of themselves and others - and then to add a layer of personal accountability to that. Maybe it would be a series of charter schools which are all about teaching the fundamentals (reading, writing, math) but making it fun and applicable, and then helping the kids uncover and remember their own genius and strengths and capitalizing on who they ARE, instead of who they might someday grow up to become. I would incorporate Wayne Dyer's idea of taking orphans who have no family and raising them in an environment where there is no doubt - where they are raised in pure love and acceptance and belief - and then educated - allowed to share their own inspiration (inspiration = in SPIRIT) before putting all that information in (information = in FORM).

Maybe there is a "camp" for adults who want a week of this stuff in kind of an immersion basis. Kids could be in one part of the building/setting/"camp" and parents/adults could be in another section and then they come together to share what each has learned and created. (Thanks for this idea goes to my friend Virgil!)

This is the type of conversation I envision creating and allowing at the Summit for Bigger Small Talk. What topic or subject makes you come alive? Where are you inspired and compelled to bigger action?

Consider bringing your ideas and your passion to Fargo June 27-28 where you'll meet others who are itching to co-create with you.

Register online at www.biggersmalltalk.com - and tell everyone you know to come along.

How FAR will you GO to put your mouth where your heart is? Come to FARGO!!

10 Comments:

At 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jodee...what a great idea! I wish I could make it, this sounds like a great concept.
Your blog is so inspiring--keep it up.
~best,
GL HOFFMAN, Jobdig, Minneapolis (and Fargo, too!)
http://blogs.jobdig.com/wwds
what would dad say

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Herman said...

Amazing? This is astounding. All week I've been asking myself why we tend to play small. Playing small never helps us. I like what Marianne Williamson said, "Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do." Great post and thanks for the inspiration!

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

GL and Herman:

I'm so blessed and grateful to have made each of your acquaintance through this blog! I am currently in Fairfield, Iowa at the David Lynch weekend. Fairfield is an amazing story in itself - I'm learning all about transcendental meditation and its effects on us and the world - and am more inspired than ever to play big in my own community. Nothing is impossible if we put our minds to it!

That's why I'm so excited about the Bigger Small Talk Summit. Herman - it would be so great to meet you ... consider coming to Fargo!! Thanks for the reminder about the Marianne Williamson quote, too!!

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Kimberly said...

Great post! I’ve high vibed you and pinged you for the Raise Your Vibes game!

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your modeling, Jodee. For those of us who could benefit from developing some "muscle" for big dreaming, I like this quote from tut.com about continuing to take even the small steps:

"When someone is so 'desperate' to have what they want to have, do what they want to do, or be who they want to be, Debbie, that they'd rather take little, tiny, teensy steps in the direction of their dreams than face one more single day of doing without, we just can't help but to open the floodgates.

It's perhaps our greatest weakness.

We bad -
The Universe"

 
At 11:05 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Isn't TUT just the best, Deb? I have an old one on my bulletin board:

"The difference between taking baby steps and acting small, Jodee, is that one prepares you for success, the other for a fall.

Cha, cha, cha.
The Universe

Of course the baby steps feel silly, this is how we test to see how badly you want what you want."

Kind of makes you go hmmmmmmmm ...

Thanks for your comment, Deb!!

 
At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I foun dyour blog through Chris Cree. Funny how this is the exact same conversation his wife and I had yesterday. I love the camp idea for the adults. Right now I would settle for an empty hotel room and a notepad:) Looking forward to reading more!

 
At 8:11 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

April:

I can guarantee you a hotel room and a notepad at the Bigger Small Talk Summit in Fargo the end of June! It's going to be a huge amount of fun as we will be talking about things just like this. I'm so jazzed about it - we're using Open Space Technology, so the agenda will be created by the participants. I'll probably write more about it as we go ... I kind of wanted to keep it a secret, but I think people need to know a little more about Open Space so they will know that they are going to be talking about whatever BIGGER SMALL TALK means to them.

Consider coming ... and bringing Chris and his wife!

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger Aaron said...

Jodee,

As part of the Life on Purpose Blog Book Tour, I am checking out the sites of all of the other participants who I didn't already know, and this post really resonated with me.

So many people tend to chase after dreams that they think are attainable, when in all actuality, I think a dream should be larger than life!

Thanks for putting that concept "down on paper". Looking forward to keeping up with your writing, Jodee.

- Aaron

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Aaron:

Thanks so much for sharing your comments here! I, too, believe strongly in what Jim Collins calls BHAGS (big hairy audacious goals). Why not dream big! I've got lots more big goals after having spent this past week with Bob Proctor in Florida getting trained and certified to deliver some new programs. What a mind-blowing experience! Watch for more BHAGs from me here! Thanks again for stopping by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home