Wednesday, November 01, 2006

It Is What It Is

Why is that such a difficult statement for so many of us to make? I've just had a very lively conversation with a good friend of mine and it became very apparent to me, as I was focusing my attention on that statement, how difficult it really is to stay in that observational but non-judgmental mindset.

Think for yourself how many times your thoughts automatically gravitate toward something judgmental. It can be as simple as "he really should trim his beard" or as complex as what I heard Bill O'Reilly say on Letterman: "It's an evil world that we live in."

Anytime we find ourselves in a right/wrong, good/bad, win/lose conversation we can be pretty sure there's a judgment attached.

What I'm learning, through my interest in "The Secret" and the universal law of attraction, is that I really do attract into my space everything that shows up for me. No exceptions. People in my space are there to help me see things in myself I either do like or don't like - so everything becomes a lesson for me, irrespective of the person who pointed it out to me, either consciously on their part or through what I can learn from them.

As I notice the things that happen in the world around me and do my best to be an objective observer - keeping in mind my mantra "It is what it is," I find that I learn so much more than if I came into a situation with my mind already set.

This has been an interesting viewpoint as I've watched Bill O'Reilly debate with Letterman and also with audience members on Oprah's show last week. As I open my mind, I really can learn something from Bill even though his approach used to really turn me off (what does that tell me about me? :)).

What are you noticing in your own circles related to your own open-mindedness? Do you historically notice the glass more full or more empty?

5 Comments:

At 10:48 PM, Blogger Troy Worman said...

Maintaining a positive attitude is an ongoing struggle for me. My passion has a habit of stepping on my patience. Perhaps I should consider changing my personal mantra from "Don't wait for permission to succeed!" to something a little more sedate.

Like you, Jodee, I believe that everyone with whom we come in contact has something to offer us. It our job to figure out what that something is. Sometimes is is obvious. At other times, it requires a little patience.

 
At 9:35 AM, Blogger Nneka said...

I recently took a job so that I could have income and time while working on shifting my career. The job has a lower profile than I'm used to. I knew that coming in. In fact, that's why I took it.

However, in the beginning my pride was running a muck. I was noticing all the stuff that was wrong.

When I caught myself, I reminded myself of why I'm doing this AND I shifted my lens to look for the lesson and blessing in the situation.

I find that when I am observing a situation, on the lookout for the "good/lesson/blessing/God", unexpected possibilities and gifts show themselves. It's a fascinating position to be in.

In Spirit,
Nneka

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Troy and Nneka: Thank you so much for your comments! It seems patience is a virtue many of us entrepreneurs and, like me, recovering perfectionists, have a bit of a challenge with.

Each of you has seen the benefits of shifting a lens and/or allowing things to happen instead of making them happen.

I just watched Larry King tonight as he interviewed people from The Secret. The theme was positive thinking and it was a great reminder of everything we're talking about here. If you get a chance, see if you can find a transcript or watch for a rerun of this session. I think he will interview more of the people from The Secret in 2 weeks. I had 5 friends over tonight to watch it and we had a very lively conversation afterwards. I think that's what it's all about - the conversation we can create.

And I thank you both for adding depth and wisdom to this conversation!

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading this post and comments-to-date, I believe I really need to examine my daily "modus operandi," Jodee.

Thanks, all, for calling some judgemental tendencies to mind, and for making me more mindful of what I can learn about myself as I go through my daily interactions with others.

Nneka, I especially liked your lookout phrase "good/lesson/blessing/God" and now have it posted in my cubicle as a gentle reminder of what my daily focus should be about!

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Thank you for sharing your observations, Lisa! It's amazing what we can all create in our lives and the lives of those around us when we become mindful and then make choices based on what we're seeing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home