Monday, March 13, 2006

When Pigs Fly!

OK, I'm the first to admit that I'm really bad at self-promotion and marketing for my business.

It would seem to be pretty easy to come up with something clever. After all, my company is called "Bock's Office." Movie tickets or concert tickets come to mind.

So I'm always impressed when someone comes up with what Seth Godin calls "The Big Moo" - or an extreme example of innovation.

The other day I got an e-mail from someone at a company called Opus Communications asking if she could have my mailing address because she wanted to send me a book her boss wrote.

Being an absolute fanatic for books, I of course sent her my address and also asked her how her boss found me. She said he was a fan of my blog, and had recommended it to her, and she even recommended it to her father, who is a preacher and now they all read it. Wow - what a small world!

Anyway ... I got a package in the mail last week, and sure enough, inside was the book "Wisdom of the Flying Pig," by Jack Hayhow, which I'll tell you more about in a minute. (A quick F.Y.I. here: as I'm posting, it seems Opus' server is down and I can't get to any of the links, but keep checking - persistence will pay off!)

Along with the book, was an actual flying pig! Really! You hang it from the ceiling and it flies. How cool is that? Along with the book and the pig, Jack handwrote a postcard telling me how he enjoyed my blog. Well, now I'm a Jack Hayhow fan for life!

It seems Jack and I have very similar views of the world of work and leadership and management. The book is very colorful and full of wisdom - from not only flying pigs, but also several other leadership and management greats.

So after I got the book, I checked out Jack's company, Opus Communications and I see right away the connection. This is a training company that creates and distributes training that employees want to take and I can see why. You need to check them out for any kind of training your company might need. Their videos are funny but relevent - what more can you ask of training?

It's so fun to connect with yet another kindred spirit! Thanks, Jack, for the book - but even more, for the connection.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home