Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Speeding Through Life in Default Mode

OK, so this morning, with nowhere I needed to get to in a hurry, I got a speeding ticket. It didn't even occur to me as the police car pulled around to follow me that he was coming after me.

I was on Main Avenue in my town of Fargo, and when he stopped me, he asked if I knew the speed limit. I said, "40." He said, "30. You were going 41." He proceeded to tell me that the speed limit does indeed change to 40 but not for a few blocks. As I looked up above his head, there it was: the speed limit sign clearly marked at 30.

So, as he handed me the ticket for $11, it occurred to me that this is a great lesson for all aspects of my life. Especially when I pulled away and consciously had my speedometer at 30 for the 6 blocks I had to go before it switched. Wow, did that seem slow! If my default speed in town is set at 40, how much am I missing because that default is speeding?

Best $11 I'll spend today, for sure! How about you? What might you notice if you slow down your default?

4 Comments:

At 5:04 AM, Anonymous DC Jobs said...

I have a tendency to speed through life myself. Recently I've tried to become a little more mindful. Hopefully focusing on the here-and-now will help me to miss less of what's going on.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

I know, DC - it's so crazy all the things that I noticed, just yesterday, for those 6 blocks at 30 MPH! Wow ... if there was that much there, what else am I missing?

Reminds me of the scene in "The Peaceful Warrior" where Dan learns that "There's never nothing going on." If you haven't seen that movie, it's outstanding.

Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Beth said...

gosh, that policeman was such a stickler! I tend to drive too fast usually -- I think if I slowed down to the legal limit, I might get into an accident!

 
At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Office Cleaning Service said...

good blog.
thanks

 

Post a Comment

<< Home