Friday, March 16, 2007

Inspiration is US!

Yet again, Nick Smith has put together a thought-provoking and amazingly insightful post called "Inspired by You." Here is a segment:

Our judgments of each other are our primary means of maintaining our illusion of disconnectedness, and so our choice to welcome the experience of our connection is our way Home. We already have the means to do this. When we allow our attention rest in openness to experiencing what Is, holding no idea of what 'Is' is, we create a space for reality to shine through into our shared consciousness.

Know this, O man, sole root of sin in thee
Is not knowing thine own divinity!"
.... James Rhoades

But even this innocent intent to join can be hijacked by the mind that would prefer to be right than happy, to be little rather than lose control. Gandhi's invitation to ‘be the change you want to see in the world’ is a helpful reminder here. In our motivation to want to help someone we usually think of what we can say or do to help, but isn't it ‘who we are’ that speaks far louder and more clearly that either our words or deeds? Allowing this Love that comes from within to recognise itself in another is the thing.

Nick's post reminds me of the distinction between motivation and inspiration. From the dictionary we learn that motivate means: to provide a motive; to induce, incite, impel. Inspiration, on the other hand, means: to encourage by filling with confidence, enthusiasm. So motivation is something we "DO" to someone (or ourselves) while inspiration doesn't get others to do things - it is a way of "BEING."

As we tap into our own inspiration, we invite others in - and we see that we are much more alike than we are different. As Nick says at the end of this post:

There is no pain and no problem that we cannot resolve when we come together like this, when I allow myself to be inspired by You. You and I together is the Answer.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodee, I just want to tell you how grateful I am for the clarity you bring to what I so often struggle to express myself.

The comment you left on my blog in particular really hit the spot for me. I love the way you redefine forgiveness into such a transformative concept: "thank you FOR GIVING this to me so that I might learn something".

Thank you once a gain. You are a true Angel.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Nick: We are definitely connected in this big world and I'm grateful. I've struggled a bit with the whole concept of forgiveness - and that description really flipped the switch for me. I'm glad you like it!

I think you do a phenomenal job of expressing yourself. I am always moved by your depth and breadth of thought. Have you read about my big idea for a Summit for Bigger Small Talk in Fargo in June? Any plans to come to the States??? It would be so great to have you here for that, since that's how we are connected - by our BIG small talk!!

Love, Jodee

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Bob G said...

A great post, Jodee - you nailed it by expressing inspiration as a way of being.

I invite you to a little meme - fact is, I tagged you as someone who might enjoy playing with it -
http://onereaderatatime.blogspot.com/2007/03/turtle-meme.html
I've found it a fun thing to ponder -
Happy St. Patrick's Day

 
At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you know Jodee, I'd love to be there at your 'summit' but it looks as though it's not going to happen in June (I'm pretty much committed with a project here for the next few months) but one day, I promise.

The last time I was over on your side of the pond I had the most incredible drive up through the Black Hills on my way to Jackson Hole. Meeting up would be the best of reasons to return. I'll be there in spirit though.

Namaste Jodee. X

 
At 4:52 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Bob & Nick:

I feel very fortunate to have connected with readers like you through this wonderful world of blogging. It would sure be fun to meet both of you sometime - and I trust that will happen in good time. Thanks for each of your commitment to bigger small talk - which you may know is a passion of mine. Thanks for being on this ride with me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home