Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Who Are You and What Do You Want?

I'm reminded of the importance of those two questions while re-reading "The Radical Leap" by Steve Farber. Here's an excerpt from page 94 where he's talking about an answering maching message:

"'You may think this is an answering machine. It is not. This is a questioning machine. And there are two questions: Who are you? and What do you want? And lest you think those are trivial questions, consider that most people go through their entire lives without ever answering either one.' Beeeep."

I had the pleasure of meeting Steve Farber in Minneapolis last summer - what a treat to be challenged and inspired by him in person! I love this book and its lessons in extreme leadership, including the OS!M (you'll have to read it to understand it) and especially the title of the book, which says that to practice extreme leadership, you have to take the Radical LEAP - Cultivate Love, Generate Energy, Inspire Audacity, Provide Proof.

Clink on the link on the right of this page to buy the book and let me know what you think! Who are you? and What do you want?

3 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Blogger Troy Worman said...

I finally read Farber's book last month. I liked it. I totally dig the L.E.A.P. thing. Although, I thought most of the book was a bit corny and I would not recommend it before Gordon's MacKenzie's 'Orbiting the Giant Hairball.' That said, it does say something that I would put Farber and MacKenzie's books in the same category. Heretofore, I held 'Orbit' in a category of its own. As you might expect by the name of my blog, I am a huge fan.

 
At 11:33 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Troy:

Nothing compares with Orbiting ... I'm 100% with you on that one! I really liked LEAP for other reasons, however; and maybe it helped that I met Farber in person. I heard about the Jim Shea - the first guy to win an Olympic medal in the skeleton - and his OS!M which really made that concept come alive for me. I also LOVE the acronym and realize, more than ever, that PROOF has to be present for leadership to be the most effective.

As always, I totally dig and value your perspective and comments. Keep up the fabulous thinking and writing!

 
At 5:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are surfing the web for " laser eye surgery illinois ", you should come across this site . . .

laser eye surgery illinois

 

Post a Comment

<< Home