The Turtle Meme - Finally Getting Around To It
Well, they don't call it a Turtle Meme for nothing! Bob Glaza over at One Reader At A Time has tagged me in what must be the slowest moving meme yet. In fact, it's called the Turtle Meme, which makes me feel really good because there's no pressure to act quickly! I figured since I finally got a round tuit, it was time to act! (Click here if you, too, need to get a round tuit!)
This meme gives us a playful way to look at goal setting, achievements, vocations and life roles. It asks us to revisit those life goals that just didn't quite make the cut - those goals that are slightly "out there" and would have given us a completely different life had we pursued them. For example, Bob's unfulfilled life goals/vocations were 1) Team Mascot, 2) Cowboy, 3) Clown, 4) Sled Racer, and 5) Bike Racer. (You really need to read Bob's post - it's a hoot!)
I noticed that Kirsten Harrell has played along, even though she hasn't been tagged, and I think she's done a great job with her list, although it's a little less playful and more realistic, which is great, too.
So, here's my take on my long-lost goal list, sprinkling in a bit of whimsy with some real aspirations.
1) An Olympic gold-medal winning basketball player: this would fulfill my wish to be a person who loves to work out (which, although I was an All-American basketball player in college, I've always hated to work out) and would also give me that thrill of seeing the flag raised and the national anthem played for me!
2) A guest on the Oprah show: I'm committed to this one somehow. I'm not sure what it looks like or how it happens, but I'm not focusing on the details.
3) A world traveler: I love to travel and long to see parts of the world I've not yet seen. I traveled throughout Europe when I was in college, but haven't been back since. I took a step toward this when I got my passport updated (I got the new one in the mail last week, so it's real!).
4) An international speaker: This is part of my actual career aspiration and one that is taking shape. My company will be expanding and we're unveiling our new look at the Best of O.D. Summit in Chicago in May - if you're there, please stop by Booth 140 and see me! I haven't yet spoken internationally, but have done several national conferences. I'll be in Orlando in June for the TWI Summit and, of course, we're holding the Bigger Small Talk Summit in Fargo (If Greg comes from Canada, we will be international!)
5) Owner of a business that makes a positive difference in the lives of people and lives far beyond me: I'm in the process, with my business partner, of creating this right now. We at Bock's Office Transformational Consulting are committed to our clients' business success stories and personal and professional transformation. Our process involves DISCOVERING organizational and individual genius (thanks to Dick Richards) and strengths; co-DESIGNING the learning and growing toward a future orientation; and constant DIALOGUE whereby the status quo is challenged and new outcomes are realized.
So, next to be tagged in this Turtle Meme are:
Folks already tagged (and I'm sure there are more) are: Cord Robyn Cam Sandy Ben David Liz David Matthew Robert Tully Karin Bob Bob Hruzek Anna Farmery GL Hoffman Cody Mckibben Ellen Weber
Here's the rules* - make your post and refer back to this one. Tag one, two, three, five, ten - number doesn't matter - members of your community. You need to tell them they are tagged. Then copy the list of those already tagged to the end of your post. I have no idea how it will work but lets see if turtles move :)